Attribution / Licensing

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Retouching old works

Sometimes, some things that were created years ago should be left alone, for a semi-current example, the Star Wars movies [Episodes 4, 5 & 6] are ones the many people got upset over when George Lucas went back and tinkered with them.

And there's nothing wrong with tinkering with older works, to want to improve them.
But sometimes, one can tinker too much, or the current technology\ability  / skills doesn't mesh well with the older style.

I've been going through some of my works lately, and wondering what I could redo, touch-up or what I should just leave alone. The Death Beckoning I should have left alone, and when I went to redo it, I was happier with the original.

With this, the Alseid, a woodland nymph of mythology who lured men into the forests to devour them, souls and all, I originally tried a few techniques that seemed to have worked.  Yet I was never really satisfied with it - I like it enough I'm planning on making a print of it, but I thought I'd try touching up a few spots that always drew my eye to and I wanted to fix.

So here's the original, with the touched-up version below.







No comments:

Post a Comment