Attribution / Licensing

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

New Tools

I had bought these a few months ago and am only now getting to play with them, see what they can do.

Koh-I-Noor watercolour pencilcrayons.
They weren't my first [or second or third] choice, but given that everything else was out of stock at the time and I was on a time constraint, I figured I'd trust what the lady was telling me and add them to my bundle of goodies I was ordering.
That was back just before Christmas and now I'm finally breaking them open to see what the deal is.

I tried something different for Harley's gun.. instead of a typical pop-gun, I figured, why not a circus air-cannon, but with a wick?



So, this is a simply Harley Quinn on watercolour postcard paper.
To start, I coloured with the pencilcrayons normally- and it showed the grainy surface of the postcard. Then I dipped the tip into a shotglass of water and "painted" with it - it came off the tip like paint, smooth and rich, but didn't go very far. Then I put some colour down, dipped the eraser-end [it's just rounded, no eraser or exposed end] and blended/smoothed the colour around, which produced a very watercolour-esque style, but with much less control or precision than a brush would give. Most noticeable on the mallet and Harley's arm where the black is a lighter gray.

Speaking of precision - these are soft-lead pencil crayons but they withstand a good deal of pressure. However, "painting" with them, they blunt very quickly. I used a Copic red marker for Harley's lips.
I foresee some fun abstract art with these things.

I bought them from Curry's Art Store [online] and it's the 24-pencil set. So far, I'm pleased with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment